Saturday, January 15, 2005

Opportunities galore

I haven't decided yet whether or not to to apply to the job in Germany. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want the job (location, location, location), but I would like to know how I measure up. Plus, a job interview in Germany equals a flight ticket home! The problem is, they ask for two references, and I'm not quite ready to tell my supervisor that I'm considering these kinds of jobs. I think I'll put together an application on the weekend and then see how I feel about it.

But there's more! Today I was talking with a colleague who moonlights at College Y, teaching evening courses. I asked him how he got into it - connections, what else. He told me he had just received an offer to teach a summer course in a subject he wasn't too interested in. It turned out to be perfect for me: well within my area of expertise, but it would require brushing up my knowledge, and I would have to develop the material. A nice challenge! Of course, there are some drawbacks: it would take a lot of time, and I'm not even sure I'm allowed to do this kind of work. I might have to get my work-permit changed. Still, I'm going to write an e-mail to say I'm interested, and we'll take it from there.

And there's even more! I still haven't heard back from Lay Science Magazine regarding my application. I'm pretty sure I won't make it to their shortlist, but so far, no news is good news.

And more! Next week my editing course starts, which I'm pretty excited about.

Whee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home