Monday, January 17, 2005

What I did on the weekend

I decided against applying for the German job. I will probably have one chance to go to Europe for job interviews and a family visit this spring, and I thought I'd better save that chance for something I really want. Like the Lay Science Magazine job...

I did send out an e-mail about teaching that course. And afterwards, got quite nervous about it. If I get the job, that would be very nice and all, but it would also conflict with our tentative plans of trying for a baby. This is true for any future job propects, of course, but this one is a bit more real than the others.

In an ideal world, Alexander would find a full-time job back home starting in the fall, and I would get pregnant somewhere in the spring or summer. This would enable me to take a year or so off, and to work parttime or freelance for a while after that. It would be nice to develop some skills / make some contacts in the meantime that would help me get further in writing/editing and keep me up-to-date in teaching. I am working on that right now with the editing course and the teaching job I applied for.

We don't live in an ideal world, of course, and it much more realistic that I will look for a job and then take maternity leave. It's just that I'd find it unfair to future employers who'd offer me a position, only to be slammed with maternity leave right away. Also, I would like to have the chance to stay home as long as feels necessary, rather than putting a child in daycare too early.

But then we might not succeed in getting pregnant quite so soon, or not at all. It also puts a lot of pressure on Alexander to find a job, and I know that's hard on him. I guess I'll just keep looking and we'll go with whatever happens to come up. Oh, and let's not forget to enjoy life in the meantime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home